Dan and Jack are at it again as they work to outwit an obnoxious CSI consultant to catch a famed thief, but end up on another mission to save Liz and Ruiz.
Ethan Phillips (Star Trek Voyager) makes a guest appearance as Alfonso Laviolette, an ego-centric consultant hired on to catch Roland, “The Tech Bandit” (Derek Webster). Of course Dan, always one to go it out alone with his cop sense, wants nothing to do with Laviolette and his wishy washy science ways. Of course, ingeniously, Dan and Jack are able to outwit the consultant and catch the thief on their own using Dan’s intimate knowledge of Metroplex BBQ restaurants and intuition.
Meanwhile, we find Ruiz and Liz undercover hot on the tails of a dirty state senator Buddy (Ray Wise) only to find themselves taken hostage by him. It’s up to Dan and Jack, with the help of Roland the thief, to get up there and save the day.
This is one of the few episodes where we have two main stories going independently of each other. Usually we don’t see much action from Ruiz and Liz, and especially not together working a case. I suspect that Liz is going to try to avoid taking on any more police work in the future, though, as she’s learning that Jack and Dan’s life is a lot harder that it seems.
Overall, it’s a fun episode with plenty of great dialog, and we get to see Jack and Dan really work as a team with Jack really going along with Dan’s crazy cop ways.
- “I may fail you, it’s too early to tell.” – Dan
- “This may be the week I’m kicked off the force.” – Dan
- HIckory House BBQ and the Crescent Hotel are real places. I like it when they use real locations in the show, and they need to do so more.
- “There’s three things I know. Fast cars, Fighting crime, and the varieties of good BBQs in the Metroplex” – Dan
- “Let’s go pust a punk!” – Jack
- “I work 5 or 6 days a year, travel the world, eat like a king.” – Roland the thief on why he steals.
- Fox 4 makes another cameo.
- NYGEN Technologies isn’t real, but it looks like it was filmed in Victory Tower.
- “If you slept with a hostage, you gotta save em yourself.” – Dan on why he’s so willing to save Ruiz.
- The entire precinct is in a state of shock at Liz in her outfit.
- Liz: “I would have picked that up, but I can’t bend over right now.”
Jack: “It’s ok, I can’t stand up right now.”